Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Chew Tattoo and Spin Dramas..

I really must work on eating 'mindfully'. I have been pretty good about it for the most part but then I keep forgetting at critical times - changing the habits of a lifetime is tough! How on earth my old stomach used to cope with breaking down the food I used to send in there I'll never know. Anyway, let's just say that in an attempt to up my my protein at breakfast by having baked beans with dry toast, I apparently didn't chew the toast properly on a couple of occasions and ouch-er-ama! The pain in my chest started... I reached for the plastic bag I keep handy at work... the pain continued... I sat up straight and opened my chest up... and thank goodness, it soon stopped. Phew! Close one.. I soooo need to mentally tattoo 'chew, chew, chew' on the inside of my head.

I've been trying to be good with my exercise and in an attempt to do some weekday activity, last night I went to an RPM (spin) class after work. Now, I've been to spin classes before and my good friend LBG can attest that I'm usually not too bad at them.. but I SUFFERED in this class big time! There was something weird going on with the bike.. all the bikes in the room were new fangled things - no 'wheel' but a shiny disc instead and no water holder like normal as it was now part of the handlebars and I had to lay it down at a 45 degree angle under my towel. it was like having a basket on the front of your bike.

Anyway, the big issue came when I attempted to climb - I couldn't for the life of me get a smooth revolution going. No matter how high (or low) I turned the resistance when I got up to climb, the freaking revolution got stuck halfway through and so I'd be stranded at the bottom / top of the revolution. 30 seconds of climbing involved massive amounts of effort in not only pushing down but having to fully pull the other leg up to make the wheel turn. I figured it must of been me as I saw all the other little bodies around me cycling and climbing smoothly so I changed bikes halfway through the class (it was pretty empty). Nope - same situation. When you drove down with your foot, the only way it was coming back up was to exert inordinate amounts of energy to pull it back up and driving down with the other leg wouldn't do anything. Hence my action was as jerky and un-co as it gets. Gah!!!! Needless to say, I finished the class, was absolutely wrecked but burned a zillion calories along the way. Spin tomorrow at my usual gym is going to be a treat on the old bike.. bring it on.. !!

Okay that's it from me.. it's a late start this morning as I've got a client meeting at 10am so I got to have a sleep-in on a workday. Such a treat! Hope you're having a great day.. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Ugh... second time I am writing this comment - it freaked out last time!!!

    I had my first follow up appt with my dietician/nutritionist yesterday morning, I was talking to her about chewing!!! I never realised, but chewing is SO foreign to me... I never, ever chewed my food... I am sure it was lucky to even get chomped on twice before I automatically swallowed it!!! So... this chewing thing is soooo tedious and SUCH a chore... lol... I think I am losing weight - not because of my small portions - but because I get SO SICK of chewing that I give up half way :D

    L x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were a machine yesterday at spin :) Can't wait til you have a "real" PB!! It's going to totally freak you out! hehe Thanks for the walk again today! Looking forward to boxing on Wed and then the mothers day classic next Sunday!

    LBG xx

    ReplyDelete